* ROAST: to cook large pieces of meat, potatoes, etc in an oven or over or in front of a fire. Examples: roast beef, roast chicken, roast potatoes...
*GRILL: to cook small or flat pieces of meat, fish using a gridiron and placing it under direct heat or fire (in American English BROIL)
* FRY: to cook meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, chips, etc in shallow oil using a frying-pan
* BAKE: to cook bread, cakes, potatoes, beans, etc in an oven by means of dry heat.
* BOIL: to cover vegetables, eggs, rice, etc with water and heat them.
* STEAM: to place fish, pudding above boiling water.
* SAUTÉ: (French word) to fry vegetables very quickly in a small amount of oil.